Pipe Freeze Control
- Available max power outputs: 5W per linear ft., 8W per linear ft., and 10W per linear ft.
- Options for 120, 208, 240, and 277 voltages
- Automatically varies wattage for optimal energy savings
- Can be overlapped or criss-crossed
- Safe: cULus Listed and cCSAus Listed
- Durable, yet flexible, construction
The AIR-STAT outdoor thermostat provides basic control for roof and gutter deicing or pipe freeze protection systems. It detects temperature only, activating the system for continuous operation at 40°F or below. The AIR-STAT thermostat is UL Listed and features a NEMA 4X enclosure and a 3 –foot, bulb-and-capillary type sensor. It is rated for a maximum 22 amps and can be used with 120V or 240V roof and gutter deicing or pipe freeze protection systems.
Documents & Manuals
- Pro Tect Pipe Freeze Protection Self Regulating Heating Cable Install Manual
- SR-PLUG-KIT Plug-in Conversion Kit with Ground Fault Equipment Protection (GFEP) Installation Manual
- SR-PWR-Kit Power Connection Kit Installation Manual
Customer Questions & Answers
How do I attach the cable to the pipe?
We recommend using a fiberglass-based tape, which is available from WarmlyYours.
Is it always on? Is there a built-in thermostat?
There is no built-in thermostat, but we do have recommended WarmlyYours controls which will activate the system for continuous operation at 40°F or below.
Do I have to use insulation? Why?
Yes, insulation is highly recommended for use with a pipe freeze protection system for the following reasons:
· It helps cut down on heat loss from the heated water pipe.
· Properly installed insulation helps keep the cable in good contact with the water pipe so that maximum surface area contact is achieved.
· While the cable is wet location approved, weatherproofed insulation adds an extra layer of protection. Ideally, the insulation will be nonflammable and waterproofed.
What makes up a “pipe freeze protection system”?
At a minimum: a PRO-Tect Pipe Freeze Protection Self-Regulating Cable, an End Seal kit, and a Power Connection Kit. However, we also strongly recommend a control. All of these components are directly available from WarmlyYours (along with other accessories).
Use of another manufacturer’s components will void the warranty.
Will pipe freeze protection cables work on DC voltage?
No. They are not designed to be powered by DC voltage. They must be used with AC voltage.
Is there a maximum length?
Yes, this depends on the cable type, voltage, and starting temperature. Refer to the Maximum Length vs. Circuit Breaker Size chart found in the manual.
Can pipe freeze protection cable be cut-to-length?
Yes. Because the cable is a parallel electrical device, it can be cut to length without affecting its power output per foot. Because we also sell this product by the foot, you can ensure minimal waste on the job-site.
How much cable will I need for my project?
The amount of cable needed depends on the size and type of pipe, and on the lowest expected temperature. Once you know the type of pipe (metal or plastic), pipe diameter, length of pipe, and the minimum expected temperature, you can use this form to request a quote. Just follow the instructions on the form to get it back to us.
What is the power output of this cable?
We sell three different max power outputs: 10W/ft. 8W/ft., and 5W/ft. Because these cables are self-regulating, the actual power output will depend on the temperature (i.e. the lower the temperature, the higher the power output).
How does this type of cable work?
Self-regulating heating cables, like PRO-Tect: Pipe Freeze Protection cables, use a conductive polymer core, which continually adjusts its heat output.
This is why this type of cable, unlike some heat tapes, won’t burn out if it is wrapped closely together, overlapped, or overinsulated. This also means lower operating costs and increased energy efficiency.
Where can pipe freeze protection cable be used?
This heating cable can be used to protect aboveground water pipes, which are insulated and weatherproofed, from freezing—weatherproofing is particularly important for any cable installed outdoors.